Re: Database Royalty Requirements for Sublicensee after Termination

From: <creno_at_synergisticsinc.net>
Date: 9 Mar 2006 14:18:03 -0800

I re-read my above post, and think I need to clear something up. The client had a signed agreement with the Application Developer, that agreement is invalid because it constitutes and illegal tying arrangement via tying an up front license purchase (about $60k) to recurring maintenance fees. Stating upon discontinuance of the maintenance agreement, the client must discontinue use of the software, which constitutes an illegal tying arrangment prohibited by US Anti-trust laws.

My client simply want to continue using the database for occasiional access, and wants to avoid any Oracle licensing infringements. The database versions range from 8.15 to 8.17.

One thing we have considered is just migrating them to Oracle Express, but aren't sure how that will work with their Form6 application. Also, these agencies only have about 10 users each, so I am not sure how much Oracle would be interested anyway.

Thanks. Received on Thu Mar 09 2006 - 16:18:03 CST