Re: ** help with query?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:44:50 -0800

Jack wrote:
> Jim,
>
> One last question, I think. I have found the table and field that I
> was looking for. Let's simplify it and say the table is CUSTOMER and
> the field is BALANCE and there is only one row.
>
> BALANCE is the varchar2(10) field. I would like to display the Hex
> value of this field from the sqlplus prompt. I was looking at the
> to_char function but am not sure how to do this.
>
> Could you help me with the Select that would display the hex value of
> BALANCE?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

The BALANCE column is a VARCHAR2(10)?
You want to display the Hex value?
What Hex value? The Hex value of the ASCII characters? Ok.

CREATE TABLE test (
testcol VARCHAR2(20));

INSERT INTO test VALUES ('PSOUG');
COMMIT; SELECT utl_raw.cast_to_raw(testcol) RAWVAL FROM test;

SELECT RAWTOHEX(utl_raw.cast_to_raw(testcol)) HEXVAL FROM test;

You will find the result from the two SELECT statements identical.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org