Re: IOT experts - considering switching to IOT?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 17:26:03 -0800

Just considering the use of an IOT or not it appears to me that the total row length is not that long so I suggest losing the overflow segment and just putting all the data in the row. Having an overflow segment requires extra IO when the columns are retrieved and I do not see that you are gaining enough benefit to justify using an overflow segment.

Retest and compare the numbers again. Besides just looking at the overall IO numbers you should also check the run times not just for the queries but for the update jobs that populate these tables. You want to be sure the change in IO is significant in run time benefit to be worth the effort and that what you gain in one process in IO reduction you do not lose in anoother process.