Re: Ragarding Oracle certification

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:33:10 GMT

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:34:45 -0800, chittora.diwakar wrote:

> Hi Friends ,
> well i am new to this group, can anyone tell me about how much
> beneficial an Oracle certification i.e introduction to Sql will have in
> getting a good job ??

Oracle certification, along with most certification in any computing field, has long been considered worthless by many. This because certification implies competence, and many certification tests can be passed by pure memorization, ignoring the need for competence. Secondly, many computing certification tests have questions that are demonstrably incorrect.

However, some employers are very keen on having certified personnel, and reward certification with jobs, promotions and/or raises.

The value of certification varies dramatically by geography. As Daniel says, in the US Northwest area in which he works, certification is not considered an asset. On the other hand, in parts of western Canada, there has been a dramatic increase in companies wanting professionals to be certified OCPs, as well as demonstrating verifiable experience.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com