Re: problem with stored procedure

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:56:38 -0500

"Tim Arnold" <timkarnold_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:8t-dnVf-3ts71ZXZRVn-rw_at_comcast.com...
:
: "Arto Viitanen" <arto.viitanen_at_csc.fi> wrote in message
: news:4407e1ff$0$10073$ba624cd0_at_newsread.funet.fi...
: > DA Morgan wrote:
: > > Jean marc Parmentier wrote:
: > >> Hi all,
: > >> I have a weird problem.
: > >> I am using an Oracle 9i DB and I wrote a stored procedure.
: > >>
: > >> The procedure works like a charm when I use SQL+:
: > >> execute insert_stats('gggg',1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8);
: > >>
: > >> My problem is when I am using it from Visual Studio using sever
: > >> explorer (ADO) and Oracle explorer
: > >>
: > >> Server Explorer / run stored procedure is returning:
: > >> ORA-06550: line 1, column 13:
: > >> PLS-00302: component 'INSERT_STATS' must be declared
: > >> ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
: > >> PL/SQL: Statement ignored
: > >
: > > Nothing weird about it. Oracle's behaviour has been documented for
: > > at least a decade. You must explicitly grant privileges on the table.
: > > They can not be granted through a role.
: >
: > Are you sure? How does Oracle know that procedure is called via
: > SQL*Plus and use the role or via Visual Studio and not use the role?
: >
: > (I have had the role problem and I think the error message was
: > different)
: >
: > --
: > Arto Viitanen, CSC Ltd
: > Espoo, Finland
:
: Daniel is correct on this one
:
:

from the above description (don't know if something pertinent was clipped), it does not appear to be a role problem for the owner of the procedure-- procedure is working correctly in one environment, but apparently does not exist in another environment -- but rather for the account attempting to execute it via VB

the problem appears to be a difference in permissions for the oracle account being used in the SQL+ and ADO environment

Try to determine the difference in the two environments. Is the same Oracle account?

++ mcs Received on Fri Mar 03 2006 - 07:56:38 CST