Re: Q: why are these logons different?

From: Vince Laurent <vincelaurent_at_REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:47:23 GMT

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:37:49 +0100, Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Vince Laurent schrieb:
>> but cannot from OEM or the Data Guard interface?
>> The login screen says to connect as sysdba. Why
>> doesn't sys work in this case?

>You most likely connect using os authentification. In that case,
>password which you provide in sqlplus will not be evaluated. You can try
>to connect with sys/blabla - should work.
>On another side, OEM connects over Net8, so to connect as sysdba you
>should create password file , set required initialization parameter and
>bounce the instance.

Bingo. Found the document "Subject: How to Avoid Common Flaws and Errors Using Passwordfile Doc ID: Note:185703.1" shortly after posting -again. BUT it is great to learn that I am doing it right.

I appreicate your help!
Vince

Come race with us!
http://www.mgpmrc.org Received on Tue Feb 28 2006 - 13:47:23 CST