Inserting and Referencing In the same Query

From: <pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 21:47:34 -0800

Greetings,

                I have a question, Is it possible to insert a value and
refer to that value in the same query?
What I mean is suppose in a table there are two fields. I insert the value into the first field and the second value has to be inserted based on first field.
eg: If first field is inserted as 1 then the second field decides as follows
CASE WHEN first_field=1 THEN 1 ELSE 2 END

I have tried this, but i think I was not able to frame it properly. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

TIA Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 23:47:34 CST