Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:55:15 -0800

eeb4u_athotmail_com wrote:

> joel-garry_at_home.com wrote:
>

>>DO NOT depend on exports for backup. It may help to have them for
>>redundancy and certain types of data restoration.
>>
>>DO find out what your recovery _requirements_ are. You can't have a
>>good backup procedure without knowing what you need to do with the
>>backups.
>>
>>This guy has some interesting insights:
>>http://dizwell.com/main/content/view/32/49/
>>
>>Be sure your vendor doing the backup is either doing an RMAN backup, a
>>hot backup, or a cold backup. Find out which. Some vendors have
>>ignorant people. If you have disk space, it is reasonable to use RMAN
>>to backup to disk, then copy those files to tape. If you have some
>>sort of snapshot ability, it is reasonable to put all files into hot
>>backup mode and snap them. RMAN has less of an impact than hot backups
>>on an in-use database, unless you have a fast snapshot.
>>
>>The backup and recovery manuals are available at
>>http://tahiti.oracle.com. Read and understand them if you have DBA in
>>your title, official or not.
>>
>>The Oracle version _is_important. See
>>http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
>>
>>jg
>>--
>>@home.com is bogus.
>>http://www.newscientist.com/channel/info-tech/mg18925405.700.html
>

> There are no users on the system after midnight.  We have about a 10
> hour window where there are no users on the system.  The system is the
> new version of our newspaper classified pagination system running on
> sunfire240's.  Right now,  we are still using the old system as well as
> this version.  It is comprised of a primary and replicated server,
> giving us some redundancy.  The oracle slice is about 70 Gb and current
> utilization is 17%.  I will check with vendor to find out which type of
> backup is being performed.
>

> thanks again,
>
> Mike D

You may have all the time in the world in the middle of the night to backup but that is only half the issue. How much time do you have in the middle of the business day to restore if something goes terribly wrong?

RMAN brings to the party huge advantages over all other backup technologies. Primary among them with 10g is on-line single block restoration.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org