Re: Solaris 10 oracle backup

From: Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:37:29 -0500

Mike Dundas wrote:

> We have just recently installed two servers running Solaris 10 and an Oracle
> database (don't know much about version, will need to check further).
> Currently, I use Veritas Netbackup 4.5 datacenter for all of our server
> backups to a Quantum ATL. Solaris 10 isn't supported with Netbackup ver
> 4.5, and although I have the new Veritas software, I haven't worked out a
> plan for the upgrade yet. My primary concern is to get backups of the two
> servers. I have attached a DLT drive to one server and I am using ufsdump
> to get the OS, but wondered what the correct procedure was for the db dump.
> Is it possible? Do I need to put Db in queiscent mode etc? What can I do for
> now until I upgrade Netbackup.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike Dundas
> System Administrator
> The Asbury Park Press

Can you shut down Oracle? When Oracle does a normal shutdown it flushes its buffers and closes its files. If you make a backup while Oracle is shut down, a "cold" backup", you will have a backup you can restore in the same manner; i.e. with the database shut down.

If you can't shut down Oracle, ask your DBA to "export" the database. The DBA can "import" this if necessary. Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 13:37:29 CST