Re: Any Notification framework in Oracle???

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:40:50 -0800

Mana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if Oracle provides any notification framework similar
> to SQL Server Notitfication Services.
>
> i.e.- Does Oracle provide framework and API to send notifications to
> users thru channels like email, SMS etc when the event of interest of a
> user occurs.
>
> Eg. an email is sent to user when stock price goes above $90.
> or SMS is sent when temperature in uranium plant goes below desirable
> temperature etc.
>
> I have never worked with Oracle. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Mana

If all you want is an email sent put a trigger on the table and call UTL_SMTP or UTL_MAIL. Total development time about 15 minutes. You can start with the demos in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org. Look up Table Triggers, UTL_MAIL (if 10g), UTL_SMTP (10g or earlier).

Beyond that there are a large number of possible methods using DBMS_ALERT as Sybrand mentioned, Advanced Queuing, etc. Oracle provides the tools to accomplish the goal by many different means.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org