Re: Oracle hangs on select statement on certain computers

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:25:00 +0100

On 20 Feb 2006 14:35:12 -0800, "Dan" <everkleer80_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On the
>computers that have the problem, the statements freeze in both our
>PowerBuilder apps, and in a version of TOAD (I forget what) prior to
>8.6.0.38; they work in SQL Plus (which I'm told DOESN'T use the oracle
>API) and TOAD 8.6.0.38.

sql*plus definitely DOES use the Oracle Call Interface, so what you call 'the oracle API'
My take on this is simple: if it works in sql*plus it is NOT a database problem, but likely a *transport* problem, either - not using array fetching, causing a roundtrip between every 2 records being fetched
- sqlnet fragmenting packets because of a mismatch of Session Data Unit and MTU of the network card
- network card fragmenting packets.
- and then of course the assorted mess of various drivers you seem to support

I would start by issuing DOS pings and tracert to the database server from the affected clients and observe the differences.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA