Re: undo retention

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2006 13:59:43 -0800

Mark D Powell wrote:
> jg, I will disagree that committing within a loop is in and of itself
> bad. While it is generally desirable to perform as much work as
> possible before committing it is why the process is committing within a
> loop, how often if commits while looping, and what type of processing
> is being performed that determine if the commit is undesirable. This is
> especially true in an environment with an undo tablespace large enough
> to handle the user load and a retention period longer than the job in
> question run time.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

I don't disagree with you, I just imagine the exact situation Tom Kyte uses to illustrate how a single process can ora-1555 itself in the foot, from the OP. Or worse. There's just not enough info to know from the OP, and enough red flags both implicit and explicit in the questions to be worrisome. To me, anyways. I'm sure the local DBA has it under control. If the OP had said there was no DBA, I would assume the worst.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.2600/msg/5a7a61e54376320b?dmode=source&hl=en