Re: Which database 9i or 10g

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:22:53 GMT

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:05:34 -0800, Ninad Bapat wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to install Oracle database on my home pc. This will be just for
> learning purpose.
> Which database should I install.
> My pc is a P4 2.4G 256mb RAM and 40G hdd
>
> I read that Oracle 10g requires 512mb of RAM.

So does 9i if you really want to use it.

You don't mention the operating system. (Stereotyping: this implies XPHome ... as I've found typical XP Home users don't realize that OS is relevant.)

What are you trying to learn? If it's plain SQL and basic Oracle, I recommend starting with Oracle 10g Release 2 Express - it's legally free and does not include some of the heavy-weight capabilities such as Java.

No matter what you decide, an upgrade of RAM is strongly recommended. You may even have less than 256 if your video card steals some before your OS starts up.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com