Re: select on a view -> ORA-12571

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 09 Feb 2006 10:50:26 GMT

Andreas Mosmann <keineemails_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>>> there is a view that is compiled fine. It is also possible to select
>>> from this view. And it is also possible to use a where- clause. But if I
>>> use the field VID_SBA inside the where- clause I get an error ORA-12571
>>> an the connection to DB is closed.
>>> Where do I have to look for the problem?
>
>> The description of ORA-12571 is
>> *Cause: An error occurred during a data send.
>> *Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
>> on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
>> Oracle Customer Support.
>
> Now I constantly get
> ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel
>
> the result is the same, connection broken and thats all.
>
>> Have a look into the alert log and see if there is a trace file on the
>> server that contains additional information.
>
> I looked into alert.log and there is no entry for this time (and
> around).

That is very strange. Particularly the 'end-of-file on communication channel' means that the server process crashed and dumped.

The entry in the alert log should look like this:

Thu Dec 15 08:35:43 2005
Errors in file /ORACLE/admin/LAU/udump/lau_ora_8810.trc: ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [pesrep()+276] [SIGFPE]  [Integer divide by zero] [0xB6535E0] [] []

Also, check the udump and bdump directories for trace files.

If you have 'ulimit -c unlimited' set, there should also be a core dump under cdump.

>> If you can't find anything, you'll have to ask Oracle (if you have a
>> support contract).
>> But be assured that the first thing they will tell you is to upgrade to
>> the latest fix level (9.2.0.7) and see if the problem persists.
>
> This will be a problem.
> 1st: So Oracle is to be installed twice on server and clients, because
> there are applications running that need 9.2.0.1
> 2nd: If Oracle is installed second time and the error is up and away and
> I can't reproduce it my application will be delivered without any
> guarantee whether the problem is solved or not!

It is strange that an application should insist on 9.2.0.1 and fail if fixes were applied.

Then: does the application insist in 9.2.0.1 on the server, too? That would indeed be very weird.

You could run a 9.2.0.1 client against a 9.2.0.7 server, as the problem is obviously on the server and not on the client.

However, I would suggest that if the problem is reproducible, that you open a service request with Oracle and include all trace files you can find.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Thu Feb 09 2006 - 04:50:26 CST