Re: Real time monitoring of oracle traffic

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:44:22 -0800

andy zhu wrote:
> Guys:
>
> In MS SQL server, there is a utility called Profiler which can be
> used monitoring real time SQL traffic between the client and SQL server
> so we know what kind of sql statements has been executed against the
> SQL server.
>
> Does Oracle server now offers such utility? Or is there any
> utility available to do that?

Many of them depending on what specifically is being monitored and the version number. Look up Grid Control, DB Consol, Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), StatsPack, many many v$ magic views, and a host of other tools and techniques.

Most will provide you with far more information than you are used to so a lot of reading will be required. Consider getting a good tuning book written by a member of The Oak Table.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org