undo retention

From: JONL <jon.m.landenburger_at_verizon.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2006 14:33:26 -0800

Forgive me if this is sound's ignorant but my DBA has not assured me. We have been on oracle 9.i for over 6 months and we have now switched to have the rollback space automanaged by Oracle. The question comes up How much to set the undo retention. My understanding is that Oracle when mananging undo space will keep the results of queries for the amount of time (in secs) of the undo_retention. In our shop we do thousands of transactions daily, most all commit at intervals. This used to release rollback space. We do have the billing processes which work for sometimes 2 days as a SINGLE transaction. In order to cover for the large bill process we need to set the undo retention high -- its currently set at 48 hours. But does this mean that all of our other transactions, inserts, deletes etc be held for 48 hours? Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this Thanks JonL Received on Tue Feb 07 2006 - 16:33:26 CST