Re: Oracle error - shutdown in progress

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2006 15:57:14 -0800

hanu wrote:
> Hello,
> I am getting the following error:
> ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted
> I ran 'shutdown immediate'. then it kind of stuck there for long time
> and i had to kill the session as usually it is very fast. Ay ideas
> please, how can we resolve this? I have also stopped the oracle
> listener.
> Thanks.
>
> This is from my alert.log file
>
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:48 2006
> Shutting down instance: further logons disabled
> Shutting down instance (immediate)
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:52 2006
> ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:53 2006
> SMON: disabling tx recovery
> SMON: disabling cache recovery
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:53 2006
> Shutting down archive processes
> Archiving is disabled
> Thread 1 closed at log sequence 11764
> Successful close of redo thread 1.
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:54 2006
> Completed: ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
> Mon Feb 6 13:45:55 2006
> ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
> Mon Feb 6 13:46:29 2006
> ARCH shutting down
> ARC0: Archival stopped
> Mon Feb 6 13:46:38 2006
> ARCH shutting down
> ARC1: Archival stopped
> Mon Feb 6 14:03:56 2006
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Mon Feb 6 14:09:00 2006
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Mon Feb 6 14:17:46 2006
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Mon Feb 6 15:29:41 2006
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)

It would really help if you would post the Oracle version and the platform/os version.

I've seen on 9206/hp-ux11i (as well as others) where you can do a bad startup with an incorrect ORACLE_HOME, which then leaves shared memory used (which you can see with ipcs -m), and when you subsequently sqlplus/nolog, it says connected to an idle instance, but if you startup or shutdown, it says instance is already shutting down. The answer is to shutdown abort, then be sure there are no orphaned shared memory segments and no odd little files hanging around in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. (See metalink on how to figure out which shared memory is which if you have multiple instances.)

For Windows, google this group for oradim and starting services.

A common cause of not being able to shutdown immediate is having processes like Intelligent Agent being stupid.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060204/news_1b4iomega.html