Re: SQLDMO for Oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:41:13 -0800

"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message news:OKOdnSh5Y6K7fXneRVn-oA_at_comcast.com...

> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Jim Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Tell me this. Which is more likely to cause problems?
> >>
> >> 1 Giving users access to Enterprise Manager
> >> 2 Giving users access to an application which lets them carry out
> >> limited dba activities under conditions and control determined by the
> >> programmer.
> >
> > Either.
> >
> > Usually, neither users nor programmers know about backups,
> > restores, block corruption, etc.
> >
> > You're not allowed to drive a car without a license, either.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Frank van Bortel
> >
> > Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
>
> this thread is getting just plain silly. users don't know about backups?
> programmers don't know about backups? c'mon!
>
> ++ mcs

No, user's don't know about backups. How many users will do regular backups and TEST the backup and recovery. Answer: a very small percentage.(even with fully documented procedures etc. even if it is medical data) I worked for a company that sold a system with a database and complete instructions to do backups etc. (medical data, patient data) It was rare that people would get backups correct (usually didn't follow the directions) and they rarely tested to see if it worked. One customer had backup tapes going back 3 months and all the backups were bad. (they ignored error messages on the screens). It really bites when you lose data.

What do we need programmers for? Most programming can be done with just drag and drop and connect dots GUI tools.

Answer: You need appropriate professionals in their field. When you substitute tools for expertise you have people using hammers to open paint cans. (yes, tools in an experts hands can multiply their efficiency, but tools in the hands of the untrained can cause pain and damage)

Jim Received on Sat Feb 04 2006 - 11:41:13 CST