need final word on sysdba

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:44:46 GMT

I know this was discussed recently, but I am still uncertain and would very much appreciate an answer.

I have a vendor that needed a db created for his product. I created an instance on 9i (Solaris) and gave him the sys and system passwords. From the client workstation where he is installing his software, the database will not let him connect as sysdba (insufficient privilege), he says that he needs that in order to install his software.

I thought that 9i was supposed to limit sysdba access to only the host system. He insists that he is able to install on other systems, using sysdba. Does this have something to do with how authentication is set up on the server?

Someone please straighten me out on this.

--
Randy Harris
tech at promail dot com