Re: Front end options & database design

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:50:49 -0800

anasttin_at_excite.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to set up a generic table in Oracle that allows users to enter
> data that can later be retrieved in reports.
>
> I was thinking of a 3 column table in this structure:
>
> DATE,ITEM,VALUE
>
> figuring that you can store anything in this way because ITEM can be
> anything and you can have multiple instances of a particular value by
> having a new date.
>
> Does that seem reasonable?
>
> In any case, what are my user front end options? I was thinking a
> Microsoft Access database but its not ideal because not everyone here
> has Access?
>
> Can you do it with Excel? Or what other options are there as a simple
> user front end to enter the data?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Kim

You may want to download Oracle Database Express Edition. It comes with it's own front end built in - just access it from a browser and enter, report and chart data to your hearts content. http://www.oracle.com/technology/xe/index.html

And BTW - the generic table idea is a bad one (as others have pointed out). You are better to create specific tables for the objects you want to store, with explicit data types. Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 22:50:49 CST