Re: PL/SQL Coding Standards

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 12:42:16 -0800

pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in wrote:
> Greetings,
> Can anyone provide me some links or docs that covers
> the Oracle PL/SQL Coding
> Standards to Follow. I have been to tahiti.oracle.com and on net but i
> am not able to provide any proper search condition.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
I do not know if the other references cover this but one idea I found very useful applies to packages.

In every package, include a "who am I" type function. and a version variable.
The idea is the version variable (VARCHAR2 type) includes version information (possibly set automatically by a source code system like Clearcase or RSC or even just manually)

the whoami function simply returns the value of the version variable.

Great for managing packages that might be updated outside your control or when comparing Production and Test environments.

SELECT myPackage.whoami FROM DUAL;

HTH,
  Ed Received on Wed Feb 01 2006 - 14:42:16 CST