Re: Pro*C question - New here...

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 07:05:48 -0800

sql*plus is array fetching by default (default array size is 15), your program maybe isn't. As Oracle returns a consistent result, it will perform logical I/O for every fetch. If you are fetching records one by one, this can be a costly operation. It also would explain what you describe as 'hanging', tough 'hanging' is of course a very vague notion.
If you are fetching records one by one in your program, and you are fetching 100s of records, I would rewrite the program to make use of array fetch.

The DBAs should have looked at the execution plan of the sql in your program by means of tracing it, before sending you away empty-handed.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA