Re: Lack of support for logical variables

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:10:32 -0800

Michael Cello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While in the process of migrating a Progress database to Oracle 8 database,
> I noticed that Oracle does not support logical variables and array data
> structure. It does not seem to be right. So please let me know if I am right
> in my findings or I am missing something.
>
> Your help is the most appreciated.
>
> Mike

In agreement with Sybrand migrating to obsolete software is just plain brain-dead.

Oracle has Boolean variables ... it does not have Boolean storage and neither does any other database. They all just take TRUE/FALSE and translate them into some combination of +1, 0, -1: Do the same using DECODE. Oracle does support arrays but not in such antique software and you've not provided sufficient information from which to help you ... not even what you mean by Oracle 8? (8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5, 8.0.6, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7)?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org