Re: select constant.field

From: Arto Viitanen <arto.viitanen_at_csc.fi>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:44:03 +0200

Mark C. Stock wrote:

> but, what indicates to you that one is an integer and one is a floating
> point? they look identical to me:

SQL*Plus:

  SQL> select 1.foo from dual;

          OO

    1.0E+000

  SQL> select 1."foo" from dual;

         foo

           1

On Oracle 10g EE, Linux Redhat 3 (32 bit).

Oracle's Raptor shows 1.foo as 1.0.

But, when I change 1.foo to 1.loo, I get 1 !

I guess it uses some formatter which marks f as float. This can be validated with

select 1f from dual

which is legal and it returns 1.0 as result.

--
Arto Viitanen, CSC Ltd
Espoo, Finland