Re: Domain for stand-alone pc?

From: Fred Exley <fexley221_at_msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:44:40 -0800

"Wade" <thewade_at_charter.net> wrote in message news:NcYyf.32$Gq6.10_at_fe03.lga...
> Hi,
> Trying to install 10g on my laptop which is networked at home to learn
> about Oracle. I am trying Standard install. I installed loopback connector
> but when I get to step 20 of the procedure it asks for domain name. I am
> on a workgroup at home behind a firewall.
>
> I do not know what to put for domainname in "hostname.domainname" field.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Wade

I just left it off, as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
10.10.10.10     monteamd monteamd

monteamd is my hostname, of course.

-Fred Received on Thu Jan 19 2006 - 13:44:40 CST