Re: Performance problems oracle 8i

From: Robert Klemme <bob.news_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:50:07 +0100

legedoos_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We have a problem. We are converting data of a database to an oracle
> environment. Therefore we have a production server (win 2000 4
> processors, a bulk of memory) and a test server (win 2000, only one
> processor, less memory). The production server should be faster than
> the test server.
>
> We wrote lots of scripts on the test environment and this all was ok.
> But now we're trying the scripts on the production server and it all
> works very slow.
>
> For testing we copied the production db to the test db, so the table
> spaces, tables, indexes where exactly the same. We use Spotlight to
> monitor the servers. What I can see is that the production server uses
> lots more Physical Reads/s for the same query than the test server.
> The test server finishes the script in 5 minutes, and the production
> server took all night and wasn't finished this morning.
>
> Settings like SGA, buffer size and archive logging are the same on
> both servers.
>
> Anyone an idea about what can be the problem?

Not much: Could it be that you didn't copy statistics or deleted them afterwards? Did you check execution plans? How did you copy the db? Did you copy files or did you use some form of export / import? Are all indexes ok or are there some that are corrupt or need otherwise rebuilding?

HTH     robert Received on Fri Jan 13 2006 - 08:50:07 CST