Re: select qry - need an alternate way

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:04:04 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:47:59 -0800, Sreelal wrote:

> Thanks.
> My requirement is to select the data from the EMP table itself. But
> through the way i mentioned. Like "select * from _______ where table
> name ='EMP'.

If I understand this request correctly ... You are attempting to read directly from the underlying system dictionary.

That is available only to the userid SYS, and it requires a solid understanding of the Oracle objects and their relationships at the base dictionary level.

Realizing that TABLE is really an object described by a view exposed to us as DBA_TABLES, you might want to answer the question yourself by looking at the definition of DBA_TABLES. It's quite openly available - the SYS dictionary is based on the code in SQL.BSQ and the DBA_TABLES is in CATALOG.SQL

Just be aware that what you ask is considered a no-no by competent DBAs and generally violates generally accepted Oracle rules. (Such as 'never log in as SYS unless under direction of Oracle support, or using Oracle support approved documentation.') Further, modifying SQL.BSQ, CATALOG.SQL, or the objects created by either, [without supervision] is nearly a guaranteed way to destroy a database.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com