Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:59:07 -0800

Roy Hann wrote:

>>But lets put a bit of common sense into this discussion. What auditor is
>>going to risk government intervention in their life by signing off on a
>>financial statement from which they have no guarantee that the numbers
>>are real? Would you do it? I know I wouldn't. And these days C-level
>>management can risk fines and jail time doing so if they are caught by
>>either the government or by angry stockholders.

> I don't dispute any of this. What I am anxious to know is whether any
> auditor has expressed an opinion about the relative suitability of closed
> source, open source, and shareware DBMSs, in your presence. Have they, in
> these terms, said anything about what DBMS software is acceptable?
>
> Roy

No. But I imagine auditors would be equally happy if you choose 3x5 cards as long as you could put a 24 hour a day video camera on them. Their concern is auditability not how you go about achieving it. So yes you could write it yourself in an open-source product but you'd also have to guarantee that it worked to their satisfaction.

The huge advantage with the large commercial RDBMS vendors is that they have made that investment. And when we implement their solution we know that it has been tested by the likes of credit card companies, banks, Fortune 500 corporations, and a large number of government spy agencies all over the world.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org