Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:17:42 -0800

Roy Hann wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>
> [As a preamble to my comments here, I don't recall seeing DA Morgan claim
> explicitly in this thread that any auditors had told him he had to use
> closed source DBMS products, but on the other hand when Bruce Lewis implied
> that is what he had written Morgan didn't deny it. I therefore assume he
> agrees that is what he has been told.]

I have been involved with a number of meetings with CIOs, CFOs and their auditors and in one specific instance had an auditor refuse to sign off on a financial statement due to the lack of audit trail with respect to the providence of the numbers he had been provided. The company is NYSE traded and the auditors one of the big-five.

Similar advice has been given to other companies in my presence as well by three of the big-five.

But lets put a bit of common sense into this discussion. What auditor is going to risk government intervention in their life by signing off on a financial statement from which they have no guarantee that the numbers are real? Would you do it? I know I wouldn't. And these days C-level management can risk fines and jail time doing so if they are caught by either the government or by angry stockholders.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org