Re: coordinate my OracleDB with a foreign OracleDB: time-problem

From: Andreas Mosmann <keineemails_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:38:47 +0100

Frank van Bortel schrieb am 09.01.2006 in <dpui51$uhf$1_at_news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>:

> Andreas Mosmann wrote:

>> Frank van Bortel schrieb am 07.01.2006 in
>> <dpohfg$hpo$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>:
>> Thanks for your answer, Frank,
>>
>>> I'm not in Delphi, but here's 2 cents worth:
>>> - Is there a way to bypass your Delphi program, and
>>>   create a database link, and just do
>>>   'create table A as select * from table A_at_OtherDB;'?!?
>>>   It surely would be a heck of a lot faster!
>>
>> Sure, but first it is not allowed to me and 2nd in later times this way
>> sure will not exist, thats why the 2-level-architecture.

> Okay, no bypass, but can you do it from *within* Delphi?
Today this wouldn't be a problem, but it is wasted time for future because the web- interface is not available via DB- Link.

>>>   Drop the table after you truncated it, if it's large
>>>   (500k records is *not* considered large).
>>
>> Isn't it enough to truncate it? Why?

> Because create table as select is a create (DDL) statement.
> And it will fail on existing tables.
> DDL (like CTAS) will generate even less redo that insert --+APPEND.
But for this I need a connection, isn't it? In that case it is without meaning.

> Try statspack on your MyDB. Take a snap before you start,
> and one right after you finish.
> Then generate the statspack report, and see what you're waiting
> for; resolve the greatest waits first, work your way down until
> you have a satisfactory response time.
I will do so.

> Statspack comes with every 9i and 10i database, and is even
> available for 8i, though crippled.

I work on 9i, no problem.

> Looking at your Delphi code: looping through a cursor is
> probably the least efficient way to fill MyDB from OtherDB.
What is a more efficient way (without DB- Link), SQL- loader, generating an insert- script and fill it in after this?

Thanks for your answer
Andreas

--
wenn email, dann AndreasMosmann <bei> web <punkt> de