Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:19:10 -0500

> Marc Schoechlin wrote:
>> Hi !
>> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schrieb:
>>
>>>Some day open-source databases may be competitive with those built by
>>>the big three just as Linux is now competitive in the area of operating
>>>systems. But that day, for databases, is not today nor anytime within
>>>the next two to three years.
>> This is FUD :-)
>> I used postgresql in software-projects for the first time in 2001
>> for really business-critical systems without any real problems or
>> limitations.
>
> And precisely when did your implementation pass an ISO9000 audit?
>
> And which accounting firm agreed to sign off on the financial
> statements it produced?

You're just making this up as you go along.

> Did the FTC agree that it meets the terms of FACTA?

Why on earth would the FTC have to evaluate a database implementation against a legal act that requires that three companies release credit reports to consumers??? That, of course, is the main purpose of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.

> Who audited it for Basel II compliance?

Again, not relevant. Basel II is a regulatory mechanism to evaluate how financial institutions define their capitalization models. In a sense, it doesn't even exist yet. Some countries plan to implement the accord in 2008; that involves regulating _banks_, and their financial models, not the database engine implementors.

> Or HIPAA?

Peter Wayner's work, _Translucent Databases_, nicely documents how this kind of securing of information is properly handled within the application design, such that you do not *wrongly* entrust database engine implementors with control over whether or not the data is secured.

> Basically what you have written reads as:
> "I threw together something and it runs."
>
> Not to be too flip here ... but so can my mother.

You're being nothing *but* "flip."

But I suppose academics can afford that, as long as they already have tenure.

--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html