Re: Getting reference from a newly inserted object

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:47:23 -0800

jerry wrote:
> Thanks for your reply and helpful suggestions
> To Jim:
> I think the problem is not the constraints between tables. The reason
> why I choose object-relational mapping is the consideration about the
> flexibility of further modification. If I use a lot of constraints and
> make all of them fullfil third normal form, the flexibility of my
> database will become poor and complexity is also increased. But by
> using orbject in Oracle, the constraints is maintainted by DBMS with
> OID. Now my problem is how to get object reference just after I insert
> an object from a JAVA program through JDBC.
> To Daniel: ...

This is a textbook case of why and when you should not use objects. Essentially you are worshipping at the false-god of flexibility at the same time you are tearing the guts out of referential and data integrity. Nothing good can come of this.

As Jim recommends ... read Tom Kyte's writings on the subject ... use relational tables to guarantee your data integrity ... and use object views for flexibility.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org