Re: coordinate my OracleDB with a foreign OracleDB: time-problem

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:18:42 -0800

Andreas Mosmann wrote:

> 3. connect to OtherDB
> 4. copy all data from a view in OtherDB into MyDB -> CopyTable
> 5. disconnect from OtherDB
>
> For this OvernightProcess I wrote another D6- App.
> The amount of records is about 500 000. At the moment only these steps
> take about an hour. This seems to be very long for me and is fairly in
> time. I know that you probably cant tell my where I lose my time, but I
> hope you can tell me where and how to search!

Open a session using SQL*Plus and do it manually.

But before you do ...

SQL> set timing on
SQL> DELETE ...
SQL> set timing off

This will tell you whether the time is being spent doing the delete or somewhere else.

It would be very helpful to see the actual delete statement ... but my first thought relates to a WHERE clause and whether the proper index(es) exist.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org