Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable? (Was: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?)

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:35:11 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> Frank Hamersley wrote:
>

>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Todd wrote:
>>>
>> [..]
>>> Then again some of us also enjoy complying with international laws
>>> such as Sarbanes-Oxley, FACTA, HIPAA, Basel II, ISO9000. Something
>>> that can not be done with any shareware database.
[..]
>> Given I have successfully modeled the B2 IRBS, IRBF and IRBA
>> methodologies for both EAD and RWA (mit mitigation (pun intended))
>> using XL2000 for the Treasury of a large domestic bank, it would not
>> be out of reach for practically any database, shareware or otherwise,
>> in capable hands.
>>
>> By extension I'd hazard the other "names" dropped could be
>> accommodated just as well.  So just pop quietly back into your box -
>> enuff said!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Frank.

> Model your heart out Frank. Models don't produce fool-proof audit trails
> for government regulatory agencies, accountants, and stockholder's
> attorneys.

Well perhaps not enuff said ;-). Fair point in the context of audit trails alone.

On the wider subject audit trails are mostly good for a "hangin'" after the horse has bolted. Models are not foolproof or the complete picture either, but if not corrupted by conspirators, are perhaps a better grade of canary.

> I am a firm believer in open-source software. But open-source, by
> itself, is not sufficient to make something good. Put together whatever
> you wish with any of the open-source RDBMS products on the market and
> I will bet you a tidy reward that given one day and a half-dozen of my
> students ... you will have reports with creative numbers and not a clue
> as to their source.

Exactly my point, you can achieve this result with a proprietary product just as reliably. Decoding their methodology by reading audit trails while technically possible confers no advantage.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Sat Jan 07 2006 - 05:35:11 CST