Re: open source PostgreSQL not supportable? (Was: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:59:07 -0800

Frank Hamersley wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Todd wrote:
>>

> [..]
>

>> Then again some of us also enjoy complying with international laws
>> such as Sarbanes-Oxley, FACTA, HIPAA, Basel II, ISO9000. Something
>> that can not be done with any shareware database.

> A bold last sentence indeed!
>
> Given I have successfully modeled the B2 IRBS, IRBF and IRBA
> methodologies for both EAD and RWA (mit mitigation (pun intended)) using
> XL2000 for the Treasury of a large domestic bank, it would not be out of
> reach for practically any database, shareware or otherwise, in capable
> hands.
>
> By extension I'd hazard the other "names" dropped could be accommodated
> just as well. So just pop quietly back into your box - enuff said!
>
> Cheers,
> Frank.

Model your heart out Frank. Models don't produce fool-proof audit trails for government regulatory agencies, accountants, and stockholder's attorneys.

I am a firm believer in open-source software. But open-source, by itself, is not sufficient to make something good. Put together whatever you wish with any of the open-source RDBMS products on the market and I will bet you a tidy reward that given one day and a half-dozen of my students ... you will have reports with creative numbers and not a clue as to their source.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org