Re: table row "checksum"

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:45:00 +1100

downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net says...

> "Geoff Muldoon" <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Seeking advice as to the best method of generating a "table row checksum".
> >
> you can use the built in Oracle functionality to generate a hash. (See Tom
> Kyte's latest book). I don't have it in front of me but look at the
> documentation for the md4,5 or sh something or other check sums (hash)

Have looked at DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.MD5 but am not certain it will always return
a) distinctly unique values
and
b) matching values when populated tables are subsequently migrated across servers (dev -> prod)

Anyone able to advise?

TIA Geoff M Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 22:45:00 CST