Re: How to ignore/hide IMP-00017 for database link?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:33:02 +0100

J.A. Cooper wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running Oracle 9.2.0.5 Personal Edition on Windows2000 (client),
> and following the steps for "Adding New Master Sites Without Quiescing
> the Master Group," (Chapter 7, Replication Management Guide) which
> include the following EXP command:
>
> EXP system/manager_at_SiteA
> FILE=c:\admin_schema.dmp
> OWNER=admin
> DIRECT=n
> GRANTS=y
> ROWS=y
> COMPRESS=y
> INDEXES=y
> CONSTRAINTS=y
> STATISTICS=compute
> FLASHBACK_SCN=someNum
>

> The IMP command looks like this:
> IMP system/manager_at_SiteB
> FILE=c:\admin_schema.dmp
> FROMUSER=ADMIN
> BUFFER=30720
> IGNORE=Y
> DESTROY=y
> COMMIT=y
>

> So, when I run this, I get ALL of ADMIN'S objects, including its
> database links. On SITE A, I obviously need to have a db_link to SITE
> B, which does not need a connection qualifier. However, when that link
> is imported, I get an IMP-00017, stating that I need a connection
> qualifier for a loopback connection. IMP returns "Import completed
> successfully with warnings." My manager is saying that he doesn't want
> to see the warnings, or doesn't want them to occur--basically, he wants
> the end user to OK this IMP only if they see the message "Import
> completed successfully without warnings."
>
> Is it possible to selectively tell EXP/IMP not to get the dblink for
> SITE B? Or do I have to basically do an IMP SHOW=Y and remove the line
> for creating that DBLINK (and how do I do that behind the scenes,
> again?!), then run IMP "normally"?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Julius

Of course, there are other ways to achieve this: 1) tell your manager this is the way it works

   according to the manual.
2) Run the same (or highly similar) scripts again, on the

   other side
3) The example stinks.
- on the export, compress=Y is default, and a bad idea. So, apart from not needing to specify, it should read compress=N Also default are: direct, grants, rows, indexes and constraints. FLASHBACK_SCN looks dangerously - I hope the chapter does specify how to obtain a valid number?

That brings it down to:
EXP system/manager_at_SiteA FILE=c:\admin_schema.dmp OWNER=admin STATISTICS=compute FLASHBACK_SCN=someNum

And I fail to see the use of statistics=compute (default is estimate), especially if you're setting up replication.

The import part is equally dangerous (DESTROY=Y ?!?); try: IMP system/manager_at_SiteB FILE=c:\admin_schema.dmp FROMUSER=ADMIN touser=admin BUFFER=1024000 IGNORE=Y
Note the additional touser, and a "slightly increased" buffer, as well as the omission of commit=y

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...