Re: Optimizing SQL to Reduce Table Scans

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:01:53 -0800

ct witter wrote:
> That would work if I have privileges to use explain plan. I don't. The
> DBA said to optimize my statement, but won't share the plan statement
> or help out. I was hoping someone here might be able to shed a little
> light on the issue.
>
> Thanks!

How is it possible for the DBA to prevent you from using EXPLAIN PLAN? Build the plan table and run it. BTW ... there is no such thing as a plan statement. The only thing required is that the DBA run utlxplan.sql or, in 10g, catplan.sql. You should use the DBMS_XPLAN built-in package for viewing the results (demo at www.psoug.org in Morgan's Library).

But personally I'd ask management to send the DBA off for attitude adjustment. This person, in my shop, would be receiving their last warning or their last paycheck.

And if you can't get the attitude adjusted ... find a job someplace where management supports common sense and an employee's ability to do a quality job.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org