Re: hosed database

From: Bruce Coryell <bcoryell_at_chesco.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:55:36 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> Bruce Coryell wrote:
>

>>I currently use Waters' Millennium HPLC software, which has an embedded
>>instance of Oracle 8i.  Recently the hard disk crashed, and hosed the
>>connections between the data files and the database,  so the data is now
>>inaccessible.  Is there anyway to rebuild the database manually to at
>>least get the data to a point where it can be retrieved?  (Waters does
>>not offer this service).

> As always... depends....
>
> Any backups?
> What do you have? Datafiles, ok - how many?
> Any control file(s) left?

Backups - yes. Is there any way I can use that to access data generated after the last backup? However, my lab is very busy, and backing up seems to be a half a day process so the last backup is several months old.

What file extensions should I look for to identify control files? (As you may have guessed, a total newbie. I'm a chromatographer, not a DBA). Received on Sat Dec 31 2005 - 08:55:36 CST