Re: trivia: origin of names for UPPER() and LOWER()

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:39:30 -0500

<joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> >and who remembers why the QWERTY layout was invented?
>
> Ooh, Ooh, I do, I do!
>
> To make the typists as slow as possible!
>
> (actually a myth, see http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html )
>
> I have a portable fold-up typewriter from the late 40's or early 50's
> down in my basement somewheres, if I didn't sell it at the swap meet
> (can't remember).
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/12/ipod-giveaway-7-steve-jobs#comments

good reference... i remember hearing a hybrid of the reason: 'to avoid clashes by slowing down typists' -- so sounds like it was more like 'to avoid clashes that slowed down typists'

the article unearthed another gem -- the daisy wheel. now here's real trivia... how many decibels was the average daisy wheel printer capable of reaching?

++ mcs Received on Fri Dec 30 2005 - 20:39:30 CST