Re: trivia: origin of names for UPPER() and LOWER()

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:17:53 -0500

<joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> ChrisF wrote:
>> Return key from "carriage return" on a typewriter
>
> I still say "Return key," sometimes to confused looks as I'm explaining
> how to do something to a user... and the keyboards only have "Enter"
> keys.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405496/

... and the symbol on the enter key is the 'return' symbol

should also add 'tab stop' to the list, and did we forget to mention 'shift' (from actually shifting the carriage up so the top image on the typewriter impact key would strike the ribbon instead of the lower image)

for that matter, doesn't 'enter' fail from dump terminal days? or am i thinking submit? what was on that red key, anyway?

and who remembers why the QWERTY layout was invented?

++ mcs Received on Fri Dec 30 2005 - 12:17:53 CST