Re: trivia: origin of names for UPPER() and LOWER()

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2005 16:21:59 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:

>Which is why the phrase 'dial tone' is fast becoming an anachronsim.
>Does anyone have any others ?

Structured Query Language seems to do a lot more than querying these days. And with a structure like in the manual, I'm amazed it doesn't just fall right over. :-)

"Turning off" things: they aren't really off in the sense of not using electricity. This applies to virtually anything with a power supply these days. In fact, note where the button says power or just has an icon, rather than off and on. Can't find the link, but in the US the power usage of things that aren't really off is something like a billion Kw/year. Because you might turn on the TV and be in a real hurry to watch it.

Cell phones are replacing "Hello, how are you" with "Hello, where are you?" Those stupid pauses computer dialers have before the salespeople start talking make me say "Start talking!" instead. Which was the original suggestion by Bell (or someone), I believe.

CTRL-C as a break.

Working 9 to 5 as something to be desired.

<ESC> to change modes.

Metadata, unique and separate from data.

The US constitution and it's amendments.

Special language for CB radios.

Hot Rod (though to be fair, there is a backlash to the original meaning now).

Slot cars.

Flexies (a sled on wheels).

Crazed computers destroying themselves, the ship, the building, the city, the universe. Ironically, as the concept becomes passe, the reality comes to pass.

Channel Z.

Cable
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051227/news_lz1c27remote.html

Free (as in beer) software.