Re: trivia: origin of names for UPPER() and LOWER()

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:12:02 +0100

"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> a écrit dans le message de news: MIqdneW3P7MBEy_eRVn-sA_at_comcast.com...
| it occurred to my that for some whose native tongue is not english, the
| names of these two functions might seem a bit odd, as would the phrases
| 'upper case' and 'lower case'
|
| so, trivia question: what's the derivation (etymology, if you will) of the
| terms 'upper case' and 'lower case' from which these functions get their
| name?
|
| ++ mcs

I think it comes from the typewriter.
When you have to type a capital letter you press the shift button which elevates the carriage.
So, small letters were typed when carriage is in lower position and capital letters when it is in upper position.

(Sorry if the technical words are not the correct ones) Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Wed Dec 28 2005 - 08:12:02 CST