Re: Oracle vs. Microsoft in analysis languages

From: KarenM <karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Dec 2005 05:04:36 -0800

OK when I meant millions was for a typical company doing a enterprise deployment
it depends how small your deployment is it could make a difference of a few ten of
thousands if it is a small deployment.

Planning, budgetting and forecasting are in a way treated BI functionality today
but beaware that AS2000 supports writeback to the cubes but I have so far not seen
much support in Excel to writeback to build a true budgetting and planning application.

Apart from this we have tried dashboarding and scorecarding with MS Scorecard
accelerator it does a pretty decent job as much or better than commercial scorecarding
tools.

In some cases it amazes that Microsoft owning SQL and Excel it surprises me the lack of
powerful integration between the two. These are some shortcomings but I would not say
they are major what I suggest is you download a eval version of SQL and build a decent
prototype and evaluate the suitability of the tool which is the best way to checkout the
features of a product seeing & experiencing is believing rather than empty marketing
rhetorics.

Karen Received on Mon Dec 26 2005 - 07:04:36 CST