Re: Oracle vs. Microsoft in analysis languages

From: KarenM <karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Dec 2005 16:20:54 -0800

I am writing specifically on some extreme negative comments from Morgan.
You do not have to be so negative I don't mind you maintaining a anti-Microsoft
and negative attitude I suggest before you brag on a public forum like a
frog not out of its well you must download a trial version of SQL Server 2000
or 2005 install and play with the tool before you come up with absolute

nonsense. You are just trying to hijack the discussion without giving a sensible
reason. You must compare the reporting services, OLAP, ETL in DTS , data mining
before you come back with your venom.

We have used Hyperion Essbase, SAP BW, Oracle , Business Objects and are now
using SQL Server Analysis Services and Reporting services frankly I find nothing
much to boost of in Business Objects when compared to reporting services
in terms of MOLAP-OLAP analytics AS 2000 beats Essbase in price/performance
so does AS2000 beat SAP BW I have not used Oracle OLAP we tried it in 9i did not
appeal much. The data mining in SQL Server rocks. I agree the only biggest
shortcoming in Analysis Services is lack of good planning and budgetting functionality
out of the box with Excel and more robust OLAP reporting from Excel apart from it
I must admit SQL server BI does what a commercial tool costing millions can do
at the fraction of cost. MDX is not as simple to learn as SQL perhaps this as do more
with better documentation needed for MDX. Only people with strong agendas must
defend some of the tools out there costing a fortune.

OK if all you have is a anti-Microsoft rhetoric no tool that Microsoft offers will
appeal you must go elsewhere. If you are serious about managed reporting, OLAP, data
mining and ETL SQL Server offers a one stop solution with no seperate price tags for
each product this is where SQL is different from Oracle. Oracle is a great transactional
database I think in BI the Oracle folks missed the boat like the other BI vendors
companies today do not want to buy 10 products from 10 vendors or license 10 products
from one vendor rather they want a single vendor integrated solution.

Just my thoughts

Karen