Re: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:52:29 -0800

Karen Hill wrote:

>>>Not unless you use PostgreSQL.
>>
>>You mean not if they don't want support.

> I believe there are a couple of companies that do provide support for
> Postgres. Plus you can ask free of charge on the mailing lists which
> include the developers.

A couple of developers answering their email if they aren't at mom's for Christmas dinner is not 7x24 support but you are welcome to your concept.

>>You mean not if they don't want robust backup and recovery ability.

> PostgreSQL does have Point in Time recovery.

One possibility out of many: I cant wait to get me some of that.

>>You mean not if they don't care about US Federal law (SarbOx, FACTA, HIPAA)
>>You mean not if they don't care about European law (Basel II)

> I'm not a lawyer so I can't comment on this. But does US laws require
> Oracle if you are a business?

No. But it does require security and auditing capabilities that in other than the big two or three RDBMS products requires hand coding every line.

>>You mean if they don't need to store and retrieve TB

>>From the postgresql website: http://www.postgresql.org/about/

> Maximum Database Size Unlimited
> Maximum Table Size 32 TB
> Maximum Row Size 1.6 TB
> Maximum Field Size 1 GB
> Maximum Rows per Table Unlimited
> Maximum Columns per Table 250 - 1600 depending on column types
> Maximum Indexes per Table Unlimited
Have you ever actually done it? Have you looked at the performance? Have you ever tried to tune a slow statement? >>You mean if they don't need messaging

> You got me there, I don't
>

>>You mean if they don't need instrumentation for tuning

> I think postgres does have EXPLAIN.

Not the same thing by a light-year.

>>You mean if they don't need advanced security and auditing

> Since 8.1 postgresql has Roles instead of users and groups.

So does MS Access. That's not security.

Certainly my impression looking at the number of jobs at dice.com and monster.com wanting that skill set.

--
Daniel A. Morgan