Re: Challenging SQL Query Problem. Can you solve it?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:47:32 -0800

Karen Hill wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>There is no such thing as an Oracle database without it.

> In the interest of portability, I have to be mindful that I don't use
> an Oracle only function.

An overwhelmingly bad idea. I'd suggest you read Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle." What you will end up with will undoubtedly compile and run. Scale, security, and performance will be less evident.

> Hi. I would like it to run not only on Oracle but other dbms as well.
> Does the solution to the problem require DECODE?
>
> Thanks in advance DA Morgan.

No ... you can use CASE. But you never said anything about other databases and your statement that "your" database didn't have DECODE was incorrect.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org