Re: Oracle not logging or tracing

From: Crazy Cat <danbredy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2005 10:13:37 -0800

Daniel A. Morgan wrote:
Crazy Cat wrote:
> Hi,

> This time I have a path for the log and one for trace as well as names
> for each of the files, and I am still getting no logging.
> I have only access to the server database so I can't user listener.log.

> Is there anything else I can do ?

> Thanks

Given most of us have no access to previous posts to this thread I haven't a clue what version of Oracle, what the problem is, what entries you have in your SQLNET.ORA file, or anything else.

Expect little or no help unless there is sufficient information from which someone can formulate a response. Have you looked at metalink yet or is your firm yet another Oracle customer too cheap to pay for support?

--

My response :

Sorry about that --I'm using Google groups which doesn't automatically
paste the original message in the reply -- it's the only newsreader I
have access to unfortunately. Anyways here's what I got in my
sqlnet.ora --

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File:
D:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = ADMIN

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT =
D:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\network\trace

TRACE_FILE_CLIENT = sqlnet.trc

LOG_FILE_CLIENT = sqlnet.log

LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = D:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\network\log

As far as I know this company does not have metalink support.

What other info would you like me to supply? I'll post my original
message below -- once again I apologize for the lack of indentation
to make reading clearer, but I am using Google's subpar interface.

Thanks

Original message follows --

Crazy Cat
 Dec 19, 3:40 pm   hide options

Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc
From: "Crazy Cat" <danbr..._at_hotmail.com> - Find messages by this author

Date: 19 Dec 2005 12:40:36 -0800
Subject: Oracle not logging or tracing
original | Remove | Report Abuse

Hi,

I'm having a problem with connecting to a version 9 Oracle database
with SQL Server 2005 and the Micrsoft Oracle Ole DB Provider with an
Oracle 10 client. Basically when I attempt to connect to a linked
server in SQL Server 2005 that uses the Microsoft Ole DB Provider I get

the following error - Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1 Cannot initialize the

data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server
"MSORACLE".

 In attempting to get more info on the problem I discovered that
apparently my Oracle client is not logging any errors. I went into the
Oracle Net Manager and set the trace level to Admin and left all the
other parameters blank (assuming that it would just write to the
defaults), but no files are produced (sqlnet.trc or sqlnet.log).

Am I missing something here?

Thanks