Oracle sequence - primary key in cycle

From: <ijj_at_o2.pl>
Date: 20 Dec 2005 02:04:29 -0800

Hi,

I have a table in a data warehouse which has reached its limit for autogenerated primary key - a signed 32 bit integer which can be a decimal number from -2147483648 to 2147483647 (I use Informatica PowerCenter, ETL tool, which creates it like that).

However, many rows are deleted from this table and because of that some values of primary key are currently not used, so it looks like: 1,2,5,10, 24, 15, ..... and so on.

I have a question how Oracle sequence should look like when I would like to generate primary keys in cycle, checking if the next value of the PK is already used in the table (no insert/update) or not (insert).

I would be very grateful for answer.

Iza Received on Tue Dec 20 2005 - 04:04:29 CST