Re: About Oracle 10g XE

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:27:10 -0800

Hari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across the link
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/htdocs/102xewinsoft.html
>
> and went through the FAQ for the same. It says it is free and can be
> used for training etc.
>
> I am learning Oracle from an institute and it would be helpful if I
> could have a free product installed at home for learning purpose. What
> I want to know is, does this product give one the ability to run SQL
> (or PL/SQL) statements and see what kind of output (or error) does a
> particular statement give. Would it mirror the experience of using
> Oracle 9i (iSQL*plus) installed at my institute? the PDF does state
> that "There are no database license costs associated with developing
> applications for Oracle Database XE which offers the complete
> integrated set of Oracle Database programming interfaces including:
> SQL, PL/SQL etc" but would like to be sure.
>
> If response to above is yes, I would also like to know as to whether
> anybody has installed 10g XE along with SAS 9.1.3 on a personal
> computer. Or does anybody know whether SAS and Oracle (any version) can
> be installed on the same PC? Does it cause any conflicts (unstable
> etc)?. I would like to install this in my office computer (Win XP, 256
> MB) so that I may learn Oracle during my free time.
>
> Regards,
> Hari
> India

SQL and PL/SQL are supported in XE. You have two SQL interfaces - the SQL Command Line (SQLPLus), and the new XE gui version of the SQL Command line (not iSQLPLus, but reasonably similar).

XE is 100% free for use, within the constraints (no more than 4 Gb of user data for instance)

You should be able to run SAS and XE on the same PC, depending on PC size. At 256 Mb, XE will run OK. Not sure what SAS requires however. The XE beta is reasonably stable - not that on Windows it uses native install technology, do de-install is a breeze if it all goes pera shaped. There is a DLL problem with the beta that you may run into, depending on wether SAS ship the DLL or not. I would suggest you download XE and give it a try - if you have problems, use the online OTN forum for help (or even post back here) Received on Wed Dec 14 2005 - 23:27:10 CST